I spent the majority of this past week thinking of what I hope to accomplish in 2012, both with my writing and life in general. Some people make one resolution and try to stick with it throughout the year, but I’m more of a list person so I’ve made a list. Yes, I included everything from my list.
- Worry about what I can affect, accept what I can’t.
- Get published at least once – whether it be a short story, poem, or any other creative work.
- Bench press my weight at least once (I used to be able to do 1.3 times my weight, years ago).
- Keep my blog updated with at least one post a week.
- Be a better brother and son. Call my Mom and Sister at least once a week.
- Make 2 new, good friends.
- Travel to at least one new place, out of State, this year.
- Go to Church at least 3 times a month.
So far, I’ve already made changes to Mad Hatter Miscellany which should help me be a more consistent blogger. It had gotten to the point where I was putting in a ton of time researching what I wanted to write about. I wanted it to have a definite focus and eventually found myself with tunnel vision. Going forward, it will continue to have a creative-writing focus, but I will also allow myself to go off on tangents. You may see a post about a great short story followed by comments on investing.
I am about halfway through a new short story that I’ll be submitting to publishers as soon as all my revisions are done. Wish me luck!
Lastly, thank you to anyone and everyone out there who take the time to support the writing community. Most writers hold day jobs and hone their craft in their spare time, so taking the time to comment on a post or leave feedback in Amazon on one of their short stories or novels goes a long way.
Happy New Year and here’s to a great 2012!